Monday, February 23, 2009

Poop, Friends and God

Well this weekend has been a doozy !! Alan's work hosted a big conference called Frost bike so he was gone Thursday through Sunday late afternoon. Usually that is fine but Isiah got diarrhea and so goes the weekend. In the middle of poop everywhere, the wash basin where the water drains out from my washer decided to clog leaving water all over the basement floor and poopy clothes and bed sheets to sit unwashed smelling up the entire house. It was horrible. And because we did not leave the house, Ru was restless and pretty naughty.

BUT, I have never felt more loved in the midst of this disasterous weekend. So many friends left encouraging emails, facebook messages and one friend, Leah, even called numerous times to make sure we were okay. And then, Ashley and Nick Absalom did about the sweetest thing ever. To avoid my kids eating totinos pizza for the second time that day, they brought over dinner and stayed to eat with me!! But it doesn't end there !! It had snowed a couple of inches and we obvioulsy had not plowed our sidewalks, so Nick got on all the winter gear and snow plowed them for us. Then Ashley took all my clean laundry and folded for me AND did the dishes. Not to mention they had to be in a house that smelled like poop and was messy. It was such a blessing.

What I was convicted about though was that through that whole mess I never once asked God to help me make it through or to lighten my load. I did what my flesh always tries to do- muster it up by my own strength. Yet again I failed and always will. What is so sweet and humbling about this situation is that God showed me mercy and helped me despite my sinfullness.

To all my dear friends, thank you so much for your help and encouragement and for letting God work through you to bless and teach me this weekend. I am so grateful and humbled.

2 comments:

Leah Miller said...

You always seem so upbeat about the most awful things! Even when you write "It was horrible!", I picture you chuckling. You crack me up.

Ashley and Nick- hooray for friends like them, huh?! :)

Rachel said...

and you too!!!