Thursday, February 21, 2008

BEEF. . . it's whats for dinner

Thats right but just not any ole' beef from the grocery store. This is grass fed beef that we got from a small farm in Minnesota. My friend and I went in on a 1/4 of a cow. Now you may ask how much meat did you buy?? Well my friends 1/8 of a cow consists of 28 pounds of ground beef, 20 pounds of roast, steaks, and short ribs. We passed on liver, soup bones, and the likes. Now you may ask ... how long will this take you to eat??? I have no clue !!!! We have a deep freezer to store it all in and you can bet once we find a house that the house warming dinner will consist of Hamburgers !!!! Now you may be asking wow thats pretty un healthy to eat so much beef. Well, actually grass fed beef is very lean and compares to chicken breast in caloric and fat count. Really??? you may ask. Well thats what I read. Let us hope its true !!!! Next question how much does it cost ?? Well it is more expensive but you get more meat in a pound because there is less fat draining off. 1/8 of a cow cost me 200 dollars. I think it is well worth it so far. But everyone is different. My next venture will be to find a good farm that can give us fresh farm eggs. Have you ever noticed the difference in color between farm eggs and grocery store eggs? Seriously, it make me wonder. Well thats it for now on my grass fed cow kick. Thanks for reading.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Stephanie Cole said...

alright! you're jumping on the bandwagon...grassfed beef and free-range eggs! :) we have been buying local beef from another farm nearby, but in two weeks one of our own cows will become grassfed beef. it's actually pretty sad. david has formed a sort of relationship with her, she lets him pet her everyday. knowing your animals then eating them is one part of the farm life that i haven't gotten used to.

we love you guys!

Rachel said...

And then you guys can buy unprocessed raw milk! We just found a farm close to us that sells it and I'm so excited because it is SSSOOOO yummy (and good for you for you from what I hear!)